- Free-living microbes settle on tissue surfaces and secrete permanent adhesive attachment molecules
- Subsequent microbial growth and diversification adds additional species and creates a complex community that is more resistant to complete mechanical removal
- Sloughed microbial and mammalian cells and metabolic by-products combine with complex macromolecular secretions to form a tenacious anaerobic pathogenic biofilm community
- Rapid genetic exchanges between biofilm community members help defeat antimicrobials and stimulates release of various Host Inflammatory Mediator(IM) macromolecules (e.g., MMPs, Interleukins, Tumor necrosis factors, etc.)
Persistent Inflammatory Steady State
- IMs subvert normal immune healing mechanisms to create a sustained inflammatory state and inflammatory injury (chronic periodontitis, non-healing wounds, etc.)
- Sub-biofilm host support tissues become “leaky” releasing biofilm nourishing nutrient fluids
- Biofilm components detach, colonize additional host regions, and create further disseminated system pathology
KEY to biofilm destruction, normalization, and healing is total molecular debridement of the entire matrix:
- Destroy molecular biofilm attachment mechanisms enabling complete biofilm removal
- Destroy IM molecules, terminating inflammation, restoring healthy immune function
- HYBENX® Oral Tissue Decontaminant is the only product that is safe to use on tissues which will completely eradicate any topical biofilm in seconds
HYBENX (“Hi-ben-X”), by definition, is not an antibiotic. It is a chemical desiccant that safely removes microbes and tissue debris from the treatment areas without impacting other areas of the human microbiome. It’s action is based on EPIEN’s novel HYBENX® Desiccation Shock Debridement Technology (“DSD”).
DSD is a breakthrough treatment for infected tissue surfaces based on a unique new class of non-antibiotic cleanser that quickly eradicates biofilm, at the molecular level, from infected tissue surfaces. DSD provides an intense cleaning action that differentiates between infected and underlying healthy tissues. Removal of biofilm has been confirmed using DNA and immunochemistry analysis techniques. The mechanism of this desiccation-based cleaning process is universal, physical, and non-biological.
Following conventional methods for plaque biofilm debridement, periodontal pockets will still contain residual biofilm, which consists of harmful pathogens, dead tissue, and a combination of blood and inflammatory cells. There is strong evidence that molecular components of this bioburden remain despite rigorous standard prophylaxis using high-speed ultrasonic scalers and antibiotics. These remaining residual biofilm components continue to trigger the host’s immune response and perpetuate the underlying disease.
Unlike standard cleansing agents, HYBENX quickly seeks out, dislodges, and destroys harmful pathogens and the residual molecular matrix in which they live on contact. Most dental practitioners will notice the ease of removing hardened calculus and plaque biofilm as HYBENX flows easily into hard to reach pits, furcations, and deep pockets to loosen residual bioburden.
HYBENX’s formula of sulfonated phenols is specifically blended to maximize its effectiveness without causing harm to healthy mucosa. This unique formulation provides controllable and instantaneous super-desiccation, loosening, and coagulation of any debris as it devitalizes infectious tissues.
By focusing on eliminating the plaque biofilm and the matrix substructure in its entirety at a specific site, HYBENX gives the dental clinician confidence that they have provided the patient with the most advanced and effective periodontal decontamination.
View a short 44 second animation of HYBENX desiccation:
Importantly, HYBENX also safely debrides, coagulates and seals off any infectious tissue without harming healthy mucosa. HYBENX does this by selectively targeting damaged tissue and instantly cleansing it. This feature, which is unique to HYBENX, reduces bleeding, patient pain and infectious load, allows the body to use its own defenses to promote natural healing.
- HYBENX causes rapid complete biofilm desiccation
- The biofilm collapses during the denaturing process
- The dead biofilm is easily removed by a simple water rinse
- Natural healing is promoted by eliminating infectious material and inflammatory mediators
Watch a video of HYBENX’s use as a Periodontal decontaminant and Anti-biofilm treatment:
View a video of HYBENX’s use in an Endodontic decontaminant and anti-biofilm treatment:
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Support Safety Data
In addition to the studies noted in the Publications Section, elsewhere on this website, the impact of HYBENX® Product exposure on tooth enamel and dentin was evaluated in an internal study of a standard bovine tooth erosion model with assays for calcium release by ion chromatography and standard micro hardness measurements. A 2-minute exposure to the HYBENX® Product formulation was determined to be less erosive than citric acid at a concentration commonly found in fruit juice and less erosive than lactic acid at levels commonly found in yogurt. Furthermore, contact of HYBENX® Products with bovine enamel and bovine dentin for up to 30 minutes of constant exposure was determined to have no measurable change in microhardness. In addition, the HYBENX® Product family have been safely used in over 7 million oral applications worldwide. (Study adapted from techniques outlined in Attin T: Methods for Assessment of Dental Erosion; in Lussi A (ed); Dental Erosion. Monograph Oral Sci. Basel, Karger, 2006, pp 152-172.)